Friday, June 20, 2008

The Tooth Fairy Comes Tonight

E1 lost her first something-or-other* molar tonight, while we were at the home of Rob's cousin the (former) dental hygienist and her husband the dental surgeon.

It's been bothering her for a couple of weeks now, and the gums above it were becoming irritated - so much so that she was periodically using Anbesol to help relieve the pain. If you've ever tasted Anbesol (the regular formula, not the junior or baby kind..although the junior and baby flavors are nasty too) you understand how desperate she was for pain relief.

I kept telling her that once it came out the pain would stop, but she continued to decline Rob's offers of assistance by pliers.

Tonight, when she mentioned that her tooth was looser than ever, I told her that K & D would be especially excited if she lost that tooth at their house. My suggestion that D had professional pliers experience was met with an eye roll.

Moments later, as she was helping clean up pool toys, she rushed over to show me the lost tooth. K & D did not disappoint in their enthusiasm over the lost tooth, as E1 showed off the lump of enamel.

Now she sleeps...will the tooth fairy find her tonight even if she's not in her own bed?


* D told us what molar it is, but I don't remember and I'm too lazy to Google it.

1 comment:

Sheri Ann said...

This story is so cute!

As the author of a picture book about a very big-attitude tooth fairy with high-tech gadgets, one of the questions I get from school kids when I do school visits is: "Is the tooth fairy real?"

One little girl went so far as to say, "Is the tooth fairy real? Please, please tell me pretty please with a cherry on top!"

Calling her up to stand with me in front of 300 kids ranging from Kindergarten to fourth grade, I looked at her and said, "Yes, the tooth fairy is real. But like all fairies, she simply disappears when YOU stop believing in her."

So she will ALWAYS find those who believe in her. ;-)

Sheri Bell-Rehwoldt
Author, You Think It's Easy Being the Tooth Fairy?
12,000 copies sold!
www.4kids.Bell-Rehwoldt.com