Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Smells Like T Spirit

E1 & E2's school is having a talent show next Thursday. I suspect it is, in part, a way to keep those last few days of school from seeming like they go on FOREVER. At any rate, it's the first talent show they've had since E1 started going there five years ago and it sounds like the students are pretty excited about it.

I asked E1 if she would be entering, and she said Mrs W was going to organize something for the whole class and they'd talk more about it on Monday. Mrs W was absent Monday, so I guess E1 might have the scoop by now.
E2 was the one who told me about the talent show, and was she EVER excited. She announced that she'd be using some ballet music and putting on a ballet show.

Ummmm, yeah.

Except she's never taken ballet. Sure, the girls all like to dance around to classical music and say they're doing ballet... But that's here at home and I wasn't sure I should allow her to expose that to the public of her peers.
As an alternative, I suggested she sing her ZYX's because that something you don't hear every day. The crowd will go WILD, I promised. She was still hesitant, yet she practiced a couple of times this weekend.

Monday she went back to school, and when she returned home I asked if they'd talked about the talent show, if any other classmates were entering, and if Mrs R had mentioned it. Then I asked E2 if she was going to sing her ZYX's - and she said NO!She was feeling a bit shy about it, and about being up in front of so many people.
"Will the promise of ice cream help you have the courage to do it?"
I'm shameless, I know. But she's going to do it! Based on her past, the child will need loads of flattery, and she's going to love it once she does it; the ice cream is just the goose she needed to commit. She watched me fill in the permission slip, AND we both signed a 'contract' that I'll provide ice cream (from the gas station, no less) after she sings her ZYX's at the talent show. I can't wait!
~~~~~~~~~


Every morning H, a second-grader, comes over from our neighbor's house (she has an in-home daycare) and walks to school with E1. Today, as usually happens, he and I were chatting while we waited for E1 to finish brushing her teeth. H brought up the talent show and asked if E1 was entering. I told him she was planning to enter as a group with her class. He asked if E2 was entering, and I told him she was, but I wasn't at liberty to tell what she'd be doing. I asked him if he was entering and he said, no, that it's too scary getting up in front of everyone.

H: T and I talked about just telling jokes.

Me: That would be fun, telling jokes back and forth.
Here's one:What did the ocean say to the beach?

H: I'm really cold?

Me: Nothing. It just waved.

H, laughing: Why does Tigger smell bad?

Me: I don't know.

H: Because he spends so much time with Poo(h).

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Ahahahaha. CUte joke. My son would LOVE that one.

As for your comment on my post --You know I almost didn't post the pic of the guy's head for fear someone would recognize him? But then I thought, "what the hell." He didn't take smoke breaks or smell like smoke... Just so you know. :-) But that would be really funny if someone recognized him.