Wednesday, May 30, 2007

How I Spent Memorial Day

E3 and I spent a good portion of our day at Urgent Care, because that's what all the cool kids are doing.

She got a couple of breathing treatments and a chest x-ray.
She even got to keep the monster mask.
I got random digital pictures of the exam room, taken by E3.

She's on the mend, and relishing the cushy lifestyle of 'patient'.

In situations like this, one routine question that medical personnel ask is, "Does she have any allergies?" Even though we aren't in a food situation, I always say, "Just peanuts", because I figure the more places it gets jotted down the better. Monday, when we were finally to a point where they were ready to send us home the nurse came in with the discharge papers and prescriptions to review. Just as she walked in she stopped and said, "Oh. Now you mentioned several times that she's allergic to peanuts, but I just ate a handful. I don't know what I was thinking."

Me either.


Jenn said...

Ugh, it's never fun to spend the day in the hospital with your young'un.

Glad she's feeling better!

Dana said...

I feel for her. Liam has to do those treatments every spring, less than he used to, though. That photo of her yanks the ol' heartstrings.

Dorky Dad said...

What WAS she thinking? If a patient is allergic to peanuts wouldn't you, as a nurse, tattoo that idea to your brain? Eegads.

Of course, I've been known to do a few braindead things in my time.

Julia said...

I'm surprised they let peanuts in a hospital at all.

Rebecca said...

I know well how common it is for friends and even family members to "forget" about such allergies... but in a medical, professional setting!? Which is worse?

Did you go to the peanut allergy walk (it had a more official name than that) in Forest Park this past year?

Ali said...

Glad she's feeling better. Nothing like a little holiday excitement, huh?

Glenda said...

Does she have asthma or was it bronchitis or something like that?

So what did the nurse do? Go wash her hands and come back, or what?

Glad your punkin' is on the mend.

Nancy @ World Wide Rolves said...

Glenda, the diagnosis was bronchitis and an upper respiratory infection. When I took her in her breathing sounded like wheezy puffs. Of course, her oxygen was low and that's why they did the breathing treatment...then an x-ray to check for pneumonia...then another breathing treatment.

Rebecca, I didn't know about the allergy walk. I'll have to look into that.

We were in the Urgent Care Center, a completely different location than the hospital that sponsors it. NOT that THAT makes it okay for peanuts. Since she just needed me to sign a paper, she stayed in the doorway while I signed and I washed my hands. They told me to carry E3 out, to conserve her oxygen for a while, so I knew she wouldn't be touching anything she shouldn't.

What bugs me the most was that I totally went into 'pleaser' mode, even though I was pissed. "Oh, that's okay..." BAH. Wimp.

Glenda said...

Sometimes it's easier to not make a scene, but I'd definitely write a letter to the urgent care center.