Friday, August 31, 2007

Roll On

I can't believe it's Friday already. It seems like not that long ago I was looking forward to pizza and brownies...

As of today, E1 and E2 have two weeks of school under their belts. Crazy. They're both having a good time, and both teachers seem great in their own individual ways. The fourth grade teacher in particular seems awesome. They've already done a few hands-on science projects, she gives them time to complete homework during class and doesn't give loads of homework, and she's got bean bag chairs in the classroom. Overall, she seems to be encouraging the kids to take a larger responsibility in their school work...or at least that seems to be the result with E1. Yesterday, after reading through some study pages for a social studies test she'd be taking today I suggested she have Rob quiz her.

"No, he'll just make it hard."

Heh.

"I've been studying all week. It will be fine."

And she has been; not rigorous studying, but she's read the information every night before she put her things away.

At the parent information night, 4th Gr Teacher was demonstrating the super cool SmartBoards which are an on-going goal of many a booster-club fundraiser. She pulled up NASA.gov and was showing us how she'd discovered this website that let you look and listen in on the current space flight and their communications with 'Houston'. Then she admitted that she and another teacher, upon first discovering the site, were pretending they were communicating with the astronauts. Admitted that to a room full of parents.

'Not afraid to look silly' should be a teaching requirement is all I'm saying.

In other news, E1 is about half way through the first Harry Potter Book. Back when I was reading the series, my friend Glenda asked if I thought I'd let E1 read some of the later books in the series. I'm not sure. I think, at least through the 4th book, she can handle it. After that we'll have to re-assess; it may be that the size of the book might put her off until she's a little older. For now, she's enjoying sharing some of the funny scenes with E2; stories about Peeves and the like.

********************************************

Newsflash: I just killed our shower curtain. I put it in the washer with some towels, and when it came out the hole that began as a small 'Y' -shaped cut was now large enough to fit my head through. It was a fun-looking dealie, with cartoon sailboats and suns - now it's a crumpled, wet heap. BUT! it means I got to put up the swanky new one with embroidered palm trees that I got on clearance at Bed Bath & Beyond ages ago. It's new shower curtain Friday - everyone celebrate!
********************************************

On to E2 - she's having trouble getting up and ready in the mornings. In part because she and E1 stay up giggling long past lights-out, and in part because she spends too much time talking once she does get out of bed. This morning she poured herself a bowl of "combo cereal" (The famous All-Bran with Yogurt Bits and Cookie Crisp) fit for a lumberjack and I had to banish her from using any cereal bowls besides the three smallest kiddie bowls we have.

Dress, eat, comb hair, and brush teeth seems pretty simple, doesn't it? E1 was the same way at this age, but knowing that doesn't make this any less frustrating. "E2, stick to your ticket" is the morning mantra I've borrowed from the first Harry Potter movie...that and my own personal, "E2. What is your job right now?"

E2 has started her soccer season with Rob as her coach. It's first and second graders, co-ed, with enough kids for two teams. After some parental scuffling regarding the division of teams (seriously. because soccer teams at this age can make or break a career, right?), they should be getting down to the business of pass, shoot, score. The first game is in two weeks.
********************************************

Shocking: Earlier this week when I was cleaning the upstairs shower, I had a 'hmmm, I wonder when that step stool was last wiped down?' moment and decided to clean it as well. Back in the potty learning days it was wiped down/hosed off as frequently as accidents occurred. Sad to say, it takes a potty accident to keep the foot stool clean. As I sprayed it with cleaner and began wiping I became concerned that I was wiping off the non-skid texture on the surface of the stool...but noooooo, I was just wiping off a summer's worth of grime left by dirty munchkin feet and the surface was now so blindingly clean that I could no longer visibly detect the texture.
********************************************

E3 is still slightly favoring her left leg, but it's so subtle it's hard to tell if she's doing it intentionally...like when she doesn't want to help put toys away. We may have to haul her back in to have it looked at next week.

Last week at gymnastics was yet another try at moving her up to the 'big girl' level - where she goes in to class without me, but can still see me watching from the doorway - and she did GREAT! I took pictures! And video! She finally attempted a cartwheel, which she's refused to do in the past. She declared she LOVES cartwheels! There were hearts, rainbows, and butterflies!

I've lost track of how many times we've attempted this level of gym, and I feel partly to blame because I jinxed it the first time around. In anticipation of an hour that would be essentially kid-free, save for the occasional smile and wave, I brought a magazine to class - FOOL!
E3 balked at going in without me and has been reluctant ever since. By reluctant, I mean she sits on her designated geometric shape and rubs her eyes to indicate she's crying (because she needs time to work up to actual tears when she's fake crying) and refuses to participate, talk, or look at anyone. There is no treat or reward that will sway her, no threat that causes her to toe the line. She has no currency, Dr Phil.

This week was back to the same old-same old refusal to participate. She's "afraid", she can't do it, she's willing to go home and take a nap all day even if it means no Taco Bell. Nothing had changed since last week- same teacher (that she's had for at least a year now), same classroom, same, same, same. Her teacher, not enjoying E3's behavior but in agreement that E3 was trying to push my buttons and getting angry that I wouldn't back down, also agreed that I should stick to my guns or we'd be in the 'parent-tot' level for infinity when we all know that my presence in the room is NOT necessary. I finally left the doorway, and E3's line of sight, and watched in the reflection of a window. A short time (and much cajoling on the part of her teacher) later, they came out to get a drink of water and I asked E3 if she wanted me to come back and watch. She said no.

I went down to the front desk and asked if they have Valium for parents with unruly kids. They didn't. They also chuckled at my predicament. Eventually, I pulled my book (jinxed again?) out of my purse and sat on the steps and read. From what I could hear above me things seemed to be going better, and near the end of class they came to get me so I could see all the neat things they'd done so far. She did each and every one without a hitch. I don't get it, but Lord did I ever want to smack that child into next week.

The womb is closed, E3. Please move along accordingly.

2 comments:

Glenda said...

Wow, E1's teacher does sound very cool. And I agree that not afraid of looking silly should be a teaching requirement! (It should be for parents, too ;-).

Hope gymnastics is smooth-sailing next week.

Daisy said...

I covet a SmartBoard. In my town, only the technical college has them.